Tuesday, August 7, 2012

SF Marathon - The Hangover!

After most marathons most runners experience several different emotions. These usually consist of euphoria, sense of accomplishment, hunger, and best of all soreness. To counter act my bodies physiology, I do a quick leg workout at the gym after my marathons. Not to bore you with my routine, but it consists of squats, presses, stiff legged lifts, extensions, and calf raises. These are done at about 60 to 80% weight. I've found that this gets the acid out of my muscles. I also down about 2 gallons of water after the run. With all that being said, I also had a different issue. So, most people don't know this, but I suffered a small tear in my quad about 6 weeks before SF. This little set back altered my prep work for the marathon, but in no way did it impede it. After the run, I went straight back to work. I was tired from jet lag and my grueling work schedule. Three days after the run I started to feel some powerful pain in my left foot. I didn't have any odd twists or anything. I figured it was just a small soreness issue, but as the week carried on I felt worst. To the point where I had a noticeable limp. This was a little worry some since I have another marathon in October, and well, no rest for the weary, right? So, I had the foot looked at. Turns out I had a sore Peroneal ligament. So, I followed orders, some slight rest, ice, and stretching, but no dice. There was still some soreness there. Finally, I decided to change back to my old every day shoes, and viola. The pain subsided completely. No more soreness, no more weakness in that foot. I still gave it a few more days to rest, and enjoyed some more junk food, before locking it down back for training. Most people look at me weird since I'm running such a heavy set of marathons in several months. What most people don't get is my drive for being in great shape and how much I've come to love running. It's my muse, some people smoke, others drink, or do other recreational drugs. Me, I run, I enjoy pushing myself to see what I accomplish. I also weight train really hard. It's something I've done now to help keep me healthy, and to help me balance out the daily grind. Since I can no longer play contact sports, I have to channel those competitive juices else where. We all have our vices. Running happens to be one of mine. It feels good to be back in the training saddle again. I'm excited to see how much money I can raise for charity, and how much faster I can complete the next 26.2. Next year, I'm doing an Iron Man. Now, that's going to be an experience. For now, It's Odessa, Malibu CA, and Las Vegas are the marathons spots for this year.




Fernando


2 comments:

  1. Again, congrats on completing the San Francisco Marathon. Also, thanks for sharing your recovery tips CAUSE MY ASS WAS TOTALLY BEAT UP AFTER THE SF Marathon ... Rock on Guy! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaUyEs_v6iA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the next adventure? I'm doing Malibu In November? I may do SF again next year. It was a really well put together event.

      Delete