Friday, August 24, 2012

Poor Poor Pitiful Me!

This past week hasn't been very stellar for me. Training has been pretty mundane. The gym that I frequent is going to shut down for a remodel. Which means I'm going to have to drive a few more miles to a gym that is not as busy as the one in Valley Ranch. My training has been somewhat reduced to allow my shoulder capsule from not being damaged further. The good news is that it has not dislocated since the last few episodes. My professional life is busy as always. Like the old NWA song "100 miles and running". Never a dull moment in the life of a data nerd! I did get some speed running in this week. I kept a 8 minute mile pace for 3 miles in hilly Las Colinas. My goal is to maintain that for at least a half marathon along with getting miles in as I get closer to Odessa. The crappy part is that there isn't a good run in September in these parts. I don't really feel like traveling, since the last few marathons this year for me are going to be on the road. With all that being said, I remembered that I did registered for the tough mudder run in September. It seems like it's going to be a piece of cake. Most people think these kind of runs are a challenge. To me it's more like peeing out of my butt. They aren't very challenging. It's just a reason for non athletic people to dress up in pink tutu's and run once for the entire year. At the risk of sounding like a running narcissistic. I train my tail off to keep in great shape. Most of my friends and family can attest to this. I'm horrible at eating socially. As I told my boss earlier this week. I dabble in weight lifting and running. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that most novice runners get into running events like tough mudder. In my opinion more people should get involved in these events. Cutting down on the cheese burgers and getting active is always a good thing. Okay, I'm stepping off my self imposed pedestal. Some months, you'll run into weeks like the one I'm having. Where the training doesn't seem ample, work, and personal life cut into your focus. I find it best to turn on some Warren Zevon and keep grinding. I am thankful for my close friends, and family who have been there to lend an ear and listen to me vent. Now, to completely shift directions from this gloomy post. My goal for next week is to go past my current max sets in the gym and increase speed, stamina, and power while running. The weather has been un-seasonably cold for August in Tejas. Here are my current max weight values for legs, and back. I've been restricted to 80 percent weights in my upper body till my shoulder feels better and to prevent dislocations in my left shoulder.

Squats - Rack Squats
3 sets @  270
1 set @ 290

Leg Press
3 sets @ 630
1 set @ 720

Dead lifts - Olympic Bar
3 sets @ 225
1 set @ 245

T-Bar Raise
3 sets @ 225
1 set @ 245

Total body weight 198 lbs
Body Fat percentage 10 percent

Now, my play list has turned to Bob Dylan's "If You See Her, Say Hello" How very apropo! Sort of sums it up. I've been trying to catch up on my non technical reading list and here are some of my favorite quotes for this week.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places" Hemmingway

“If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don’t even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery–isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you’ll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.” Charles Bukowski 


Earnestly,
Fernando